Monday, December 1, 2008

My favorite time of the year



It's Christmas time! I'm so excited, I so love this time of the year. I have been trying to get things rolling around here, in the holly jolly direction. My darling hubby is the original Grinch and really doesn't get into it. I'm determined to have some of my holiday cheer rub off on him. I thank God for my radio and the 3 channels of non stop Christmas music. It's the hap happiest season of all...I want a hippopotamus for Christmas, and all that. We lit our first Advent candle of the year today, yes I know it should have been yesterday, but I've been a day late and a dollar short all week. It went much better this year than last. Last year we had a home made wreath that took up the whole table and we nearly caught the thing on fire. We are also using a bible study on Advent that is super kid friendly as opposed to last year where I had no clue what we were doing. You can find it here if your looking for something to do ( http://miikogibson.com/advent_study.htm ) I found an awesome thrift store find with our Advent candle holder, it made of silver and looks like a Christmas tree with a place for all 5 candles. It was tarnished pretty bad but it shined up nice and only cost $2.95! The best part is I don't have to worry about this one catching fire. Also we put up our tree. For the past 3 years we have done a poster board tree. It started because we simply had no room in our trailer to put a tree when we moved off base in South Carolina. Now we do it because the kids love to make their own Christmas tree, the really get into it. This also cuts back on storage space, poster board costs $1 for 2 and we can recycle it come January. I can't wait to go driving around checking out the Christmas lights. May be there will be snow this year, just a little, enough to be pretty but not a hassle. The kids and I are making all the gifts for friends and family this year and we have actually stuck to our budget for the boys this year. Yet another reason to enjoy this season. I am really trying to do all I can to prevent Christmas from being a big "gimme" fest for my kiddos. I want them to have a joyful holiday season where the focus remains on the greatest gift of all, Our Savior Christ Jesus. This is a hard task when the world is so pro Santa and buy this and that toy. Raising a blended family also adds to the challenge, when our oldest son Charles it taught about Santa and flying reindeer as fact, with no emphasis on Christ's birth and our 5 year old son Hayden, asks why he can't tell his big brother the truth. He asks why so many moms and dads lie to their kids and it bothers him, but we are confident we made the right choice in telling our kiddos the truth, I never want my children to question my truthfulness. Any way we finished the paper snowflakes and we will be heading out shortly to go caroling at the retirement home with our cub scout pack. I love Christmas songs! Santa will be there but don't worry I have told our children not to go around bursting the other kids bubbles :-) I wonder if there will be hot chocolate...mmm...

No comments:

 

Tranquil Chaos | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates